NANS Issues Ultimatum to College of Education Ikere Ekiti Over Student Union Elections
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) at the weekend issued a seven-day ultimatum to the authorities of the College of Education, Ikere Ekiti, Ekiti State, to either rescind its action on the cancellation of the students’ union’s election of the institution, or risk crisis.
Authorities of the college had last week cancelled the election of the students union of the college, following what they described as the unruly behaviour of the students during the election. But the students alleged that the management annulled the election because its (management) preferred candidates did not win at the polls allegedly supervised by some members of the management.
The students in a letter declared the action of the Provost of the institution, Prof. Francisca Aladejana, as illegal and vowed to create tension if the management refuses to do something about the situation.
In the letter jointly signed by NANS/ Joint Campus Committee (JCC) Director of Action and Mobilization (Ekiti axis) and the NANS/JCC Public Relations Officer (Ekiti axis), Comrade Agbetuyi Omotayo and Temitope Aduloju respectively, the union commended Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State and the Vice Chancellor of the Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti, Prof. Oladipo Aina for slashing the reparation fees imposed on the students following the damage done to the school during a protest over the killing of a 400-level student of the university, Mr Teslim Yusuf Abiola, by a runaway driver on the campus from N10,500 to N6,500.
- NANS, UNILAG Management Meet Over Suspension of Student Unionism
- Education Minister Condoles NANS Over Loss of Student Leaders
- Students of Adeyemi College of Education Go On Voilent Protest, Vandalise Vehicles
- Why Government Must Re position the Education Sector –Ochai, NANS President .Says he is the Authentic Student Leader
- Police Officer Reported Dead After Protest by Students of State College of Education Ila-Orangun