Nigeria’s Female U-17 Hold Canada to 1-1 Draw in FIFA Women U-17 Championship Group Match
Montreal’s Amandine Pierre-Louis scored but Canada gave up a late goal on Saturday in a 1-1 draw with Nigeria at the FIFA under-17 women’s soccer championship.
Pierre-Louis put the Canadians ahead 1-0 in the 63rd minute after Nichelle Prince of Ajax, Ont., fed her with a through pass on the counter-attack.
“I was definitely pleased with the effort,” said head coach Bryan Rosenfeld. “We were able to come away with a point against a tough opponent in Nigeria.”
Nigeria hit the woodwork of Canada’s goal four times in the match, but finally drew even in the 81st minute when Chinwendu Ihezuo volleyed in a rebound.
Canada plays Colombia on Tuesday as group play continues.
- Falconets Draw 1-1 With Brazil in Second Group Match of FIFA U20 World Cup
- Super Falcons to Meet Cameroon, Ethiopia in 2012 African Women Championship
- Home Based Eagles Hold Angola to Goalless Draw
- FIFA U-17 Women World Cup: Hamilton, Amoo Caution Flamingos
- Enyeama, Echiejile help Clubs Qualify for Champions League Group Stage