Nigerian Female Boxer Punch Her Way to Quarterfinals in London 2012 Olympics
A DEPARTURE from what her male compatriots failed to achieve, Team Nigeria’s boxer, Edith Ogoke, yesterday punched herself into the quarter-finals.
She defeated her Azerbaijan counterpart, VyStropva Elena, 14-12 to romp into the last eight where she is expected to fight Russian Torlopova Nadezda today at 4.15p.m. The tough-talking Ogoke marched her words with action when her sucker punch rattled her much taller opponent as she led the first round 4-2.
Trying to keep the Nigerian at bay with her longer reach, the Azerbaijan fighter fought back but could not contain Edith’s hooks that caught her napping severally. The Nigerian did not surrender her lead though, her opponent got some punches on target.
With her beautiful moves on the canvas, Ogoke went on the offensive again but ran into difficulty but jabbed herself out. The Azerbaijan narrowed the lead in the third round12-11.
The final round brought out the best again from the Nigerian, whose left and right combination pushed her into the quarter-final.
- Nigerian Businessmen in London Lose £500,000 Over Failure of Nigeria’s Football Teams to Qualify for London 2012 Olympics
- Nigeria’s Dream Team V Fail to Qualify For London 2012 Olympics Despite 4-1 Over Algeria
- Nigeria’s U-23 Coach Austin Eguavoen Resigns After Failure to Qualify for London 2012 Olympics
- Nigeria Announces 31 Athletes for 2012 London Olympics
- Ryan Giggs to Captain Team GB at London 2012 Olympics