Staff Union of Niger Delta University Threaten Disruption of Academic Activities Over Non-Payment of Arrears
Academic activities at the Niger Delta University, NDU, Wilberforce Island, Bayelsa State, may be disrupted over alleged suspension of payment of arrears of salaries to academic staff of the institution.
Academic Staff Union of University, ASUU, chapter of the university, in a statement, yesterday, said the move could lead to an indefinite halt in academic activities, as lecturers would boycott the school’s second semester examinations commencing end of July.
The statement by Dr. Beke Tuboukiye, NDU ASUU Chairman and Dr. Stanley Ogoun, Secretary, explained that the arrears were outstanding portion of a total N1.49 billion, approved by immediate past governor, Timipre Sylva to take care of a 12 monthly instalment of 11 months arrears accumulated by the delayed implementation of FG/ASUU 2009 Agreement.
The union, said that the abruptly suspended of the payment by the current state government in February 2012, without explanation with four months to finish the arrears was unacceptable.St
- Staff of Katsina State Owned Tertiary Institutions Threaten to Go on Strike
- Worker Petitions College to Pay Salary Arrears
- Lautech Resumes Academic Activities for 2nd Semester 2011/2012 Session, Release 2012/2013 Post UTME Screening Results
- Police University, Kaduna to Commence Academic Activities in September – Acting IGP
- Baze University, Abuja Recruiting Academic Staff (in Computer Science)