Gowon Blames Jonathan for Renaming UNILAG Without Consulting Widely
Former Head of State General Yakubu Gowon (rtd) has faulted the renaming the University of Lagos after the late presumed winner of June 12, 1993 presidential election, MKO Abiola.
Speaking with newsmen in Benin yesterday, General Gowon said it would have been better if President Goodluck Jonathan had consulted with alumni of the university and other stakeholders before announcing the change of name.
“University of Ife was changed to Obafemi Awolowo University and the people especially students protested; now that the University of Lagos is now changed, it would have been better for President Goodluck Jonathan to have consulted with old students of the university before renaming it after Abiola.
“I, honestly, do not want to comment on that one; I am sure that anyone who has gone to UNILAG feels about the change and I know a lot of students who went to the University of Ife, when it was changed to Awolowo University, if asked them whether they wanted the change to Awolowo University, they will say no. So, that is the feeling.
- President Jonathan Consulted Widely Before Renaming University of Lagos – NUC Secretary
- President Jonathan Seeks Senate Approval for Renaming of UNILAG
- 10 University of Lagos Students Sue President Jonathan Over Renaming of the University
- Renaming of UNILAG Must Stand, Says FG As Students Defy Closure Order
- Occupy UNILAG Protests Over Renaming of School to Moshood Abiola University