English Premiership Club Arsenal FC to Visit Nigeria on Playing Tour Next Summer
Top English Premier League club, Arsenal will embark on a playing tour of Nigeria next summer, MTNFootball.com reports.
The London-based clubside is expected to parade many of its top players like skipper Robin Van Persie, Mikel Arteta, Theo Walcott and Gervinho against a number of selected Nigerian clubs between July and August 2012.
“Arsenal will tour Nigeria ahead of the 2012/2013 season and will play against some selected Nigerian clubs,” FIFA match agent David Omigie of Dajan Sports told MTNFootball.com
“I am therefore leading a delegation that will include Arsenal Football Club’s head of marketing. We are in Nigeria to conduct a pre-tour visit.
“During the visit, we will hold talks with top officials of the Nigerian Football Federation to ensure that Nigeria benefits from the visit of the Gunners.”
Omigie further told MTNFootball.com that the advance party for the tour will arrive Abuja on Monday. It will be the first of such visit to Nigeria by the high-profile London club.
Three years ago, Omigie’s company brought two other English clubs, Manchester United and Portsmouth, to Abuja in a similar arrangement.
The EPL is hugely popular in football-mad Nigeria with millions of fans following the championship on both terrestrial and satellite television every week. Only recently a proposed Kano State academy sought a technical partnership with another EPL outfit Sunderland.
source: The Nation
- Nigeria’s U-23 Coach Austin Eguavoen Resigns After Failure to Qualify for London 2012 Olympics
- NFF Shortlist Belgian Coach SaintFlet For Technical Director Job
- Osaze Odewingie Scores as West Brom Beats Arsenal
- New Eagles Coach Stephen Keshi on a Visit to NFF Glass House, Picks Okpala as Assistant
- Nigeria’s Dream Team V Fail to Qualify For London 2012 Olympics Despite 4-1 Over Algeria