Dim Odumegwu Ojukwu is Dead
The sad news filtered in early hours of today that ex Biafran warlord and Igbo statesman Chief Dim Emeka Odimegwu Ojukwu is dead.
According to the reports he died in the London hospital where he was receiving treatment for stroke. He was aged 78.
Ojukwu become famous after leading the then Southeast region of Nigeria to an almost 3 year civil war known as the Biafran war against the rest of Nigeria in a break away attempt.
Maja Umeh, a spokesman for Nigeria’s Anambra state, confirmed Ojukwu’s death Saturday. Anambra state, in the heart of what used to be the breakaway republic, had provided financial support for Ojukwu during his hospital stay.
Further comments are awaited from his family and the governments of the Southeast states.
- Ojukwu Under Intensive Care for Stroke
- Sick Ojukwu is Flown Abroad for Treatment
- Ailing Ojukwu Admitted to UK Hospital Over Stroke
- Ojukwu Regains Consciousness, Begins to Speak
- Igbo Leaders Sue For Peace As Ojukwu Celebrates 78th Birthday