Chelsea midfielder John Mikel Obi can now breathe a sigh of relief as his father who was abducted on August 12, 2011, has been found hale and hearty in Kano, stated reports on washingtonpost.com. though there are still conflicting report on whether it was the Nigerian Police that effected the release or that the abductors made the release.
The Washingtonpost reports that the kidnapped father of Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel was freed Monday after detectives traced him and his abductors to Kano in Northern Nigeria while Mikel’s agency released a statement that he was released by the kidnappers. The abductors are thought to have demanded an £80,000 (N12 million) ransom.
Michael Obi was abducted on his way back home from work when he disappeared and afterwards the abductors got in touch with the family. Mikel’s agency, the London-based Sport Entertainment & Media Group, confirmed Michael Obi’s release on Monday evening. “Earlier today, Michael Obi called his family to advise them that he had been released by his abductors. (We) have waited until now to release this information to ensure that Michael was safe,” the statement issued Monday night said.
The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) spokesman Olusola Amore told The Associated Press that investigators followed Michael Obi’s trail from central Nigeria’s Plateau state to Kano, one of the nation’s largest cities. There, officers raided the area where Obi was held, freeing him and arresting a number of kidnappers.
Surprised by the news, a very elated Secretary General of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Musa Ahmadu said, “It is welcome news, first for the family and to the whole nation.
“Mikel (Obi) can now go about his business with a peaceful mind and we must congratulate the Poiice for a job well done.” Ahmadu also added that he will be getting in touch with the Obi family to celebrate the finding of their father.